September 25, 2020

I am bringing my attention to the more recent changes in my life sharing them with others who have similar experiences and leaving my impressions for those who now are at different phases in their lives.

In January 2020 I completed thirteen forensic cases filing my reports to the court of my examinations and opinions that the court asked from me regarding various people involved in the court system. Either they are awaiting trial and may have mental health issues relevant to their charges, to their defense, and to their issues of dispositions regarding issues of potentially dangerous behaviors in the future. I have been doing this type of work for a number of years after stopping having an office practice in psychiatry and providing services to various non profit agencies and the health department of the state of Hawai'i. A case requires me to usually journey from Kailua to downtown Honolulu and review files sometimes very thick with police reports, hospital and emergency room records, depositions, etc. I then usually talk with the attorney of the defendant to understand their perspective if they choose to share their views with me and then arrange to interview the client. These interviews may be at Oahu Community Correctional Center, Halawa Community Correction Center, Hawai'i State Hospital, Kahi Mohala Hospital, or other locations including Care homes, Health Centers, substance Abuse treatment residential programs, and lawyers offices. Usually I review other records at some of these facilities. My interview usually is one hour but at times I require more time. During the interview, I conduct various avenues of inquiry to ascertain the mental conditions if present currently and at the time of the alleged actions resulting in court involvement and answer questions of legal fitness (can the defendant cooperate in the trial process and understand and make decisions regarding his/her defense) .  I try to ascertain whether the defendant has conditions that may result in acquittal due to issues of insanity if asked by the court. I am required often to give opinions regarding the defendants potentiality to be dangerous to self, others, or property if requested. 

So the process for each case requires travel, reading, taking notes, interviewing, and generating a report to the court and attorneys. Maye ten or more hours per case. So a few days per week of work. Up until a few years ago I also would play golf once or twice per week walking the course. I would go to the gymnasium once or twice per week for about one hour. Hiking was twice per week. So I had a full life of work, recreations and pleasure. 

Health issues have occurred. I tore my Achilles tendon in my left leg. In the process of evaluation and rehabilitation I was diagnosed with mild idiopathic peripheral neuropathy. I eventually got a brace for my left achilles which allow me now to hike. My balance is off so hiking now with hiking poles is necessary. I journeyed from the hiking trail to the emergency room and cardiac catheterization lab this year twice for treatment of closed coronary arteries and have rehabilitated myself through home exercise, walking the neighborhood and local trails, and taking all the pills the doctors want me to take so I'm back with the stamina I had before my journey to the catheter lab. 

I no longer have the interest in golf. My journeys to the gym have ceased since the pandemic problems. I have decided to stop my forensic work since February. I have no nostalgic feelings regarding my retirement since the pandemic presented serious challenges to forensic examiners having to travel to institutions in which the virus may be much more active. I now have some heavy duty rubber bands which I use with YouTube exercise guidance besides my usual exercise routines a few times per week. I have progressed from having a hard time with regular push ups to more than 28 total push ups in two groups of fourteen. Hiking twice per week is now quite enjoyable. Communing with nature with a few other friends is great for my mental health. I have continued to go through classical piano playing and now jazz enjoying the very slow progress so now if you're lucky you can hear the music the composer intended. I can do this for one to two hours per day. Reading continues to be a pleasure so I can get through various texts and novels, read the various news feeds I like, and then sometimes bother others with my opinionated emails and messages. Another newer activity is naps during the day very satisfying.  

Life at home with the pandemic lockdown and my retirement is very satisfying since our home is like an art museum with Rebecca's art and other pieces and my displayed photographs capturing the light. Our yard is thriving with flowers, herbs, bushes, and plants giving still life to the various statues standing in the yard. Our cat recently has been playing with the field mouse and rats that sometimes visit us inside the house. Rebecca is great company and we continue to talk and sometimes debate with humor our agreements and disagreements. She has her art studio in which she spends a good part of the day in creating and preparing her projects. Our neighbors are pleasant and sometimes we have short visits with each other. Phone calls, whatsapp chats, Marco Polo video visits, messaging all provide us with connections. I do miss weekly dinners with David and his family and I hope we can start to see each other again soon. Dinners with Rebecca and I are fun since we'll take turns in cooking or agreeing on take home food. To my delight Rebecca does not mind once in awhile making vegetable chicken matzo ball soup for us.  

So my retirement, health concerns,  and the pandemic restrictions have caused major readjustments yet now I am happy with this life. This blogging activity does allow me some outlet to live my life with myself and those who visit these pages. 

Leonard    

 https://www.flickr.com/photos/leonardsjacobs/albums/72157713109823126

https://images-na.ssl-images-amazon.com/images/I/719vVILz3UL._AC_SL1500_.jpg

Comments

Popular posts from this blog